Child Abuse; Father-Child Relations; Fathers; Parent-Child Relations; Parents; Domestic Violence; Substance-Related Disorders; Reproductive Behavior
Public Health Interests
Child Development, Policies, Programs; Child Mental Health
As a clinical child and school psychologist, I am broadly interested in ways the principles of developmental psychopathology can be used to explore the impact of substance abuse on family process and the psychosocial development of children. I am particularly interested in (a) the impact of substance abuse on fathering, (b) parenting as a treatment issue for substance-abusing men and women, and (c) the development of parent intervention for men and women enrolled in substance abuse treatment.
- McMahon, T. J. (2013). Substance-abusing fathers: A developmental perspective. In N. E. Suchman, M. Pajulo, & L. C. Mayes (Eds.), Parenting and substance addiction: Developmental approaches to intervention (pp. 156-182). New York: Oxford University Press.
- McMahon, T. J. (2013). Fathers Too! Building parent intervention for substance-abusing men. In N. E. Suchman, M. Pajulo, & L. C. Mayes (Eds.), Parenting and substance addiction: Developmental approaches to intervention (pp. 447-468). New York: Oxford Univ
- Moore, B. C., Easton, C. J., & McMahon, T. J. (2011). Drug abuse and intimate partner violence: A comparative study of opioid-dependent fathers. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 81, 218-227.
- McMahon, T. J., Winkel, J. D., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2008). Drug-abuse and responsible fathering: A comparative study of men enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment. Addiction, 103, 269-283.
- McMahon, T. J., Winkel, J. D., Suchman, N. E., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2007). Drug-abusing fathers: Patterns of pair-bonding, reproduction, and paternal involvement. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 33, 295-302.
- McMahon, T. J., & Spector, A. Z. (2007). Fathering and the mental health of men. In J. E. Grant & M. N. Potenza (Eds.), Clinical guide to men’s mental health (pp. 259-282). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.
- McMahon, T. J., & Giannini, F. D. (2003). Substance-abusing fathers in family court: Moving from popular stereotypes to therapeutic jurisprudence. Family Court Review, 41, 337-353.
- McMahon, T. J., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2002). Substance abuse and fathering: Adding poppa to the research agenda. Addiction, 97, 1109-1115.