Psychiatry and Psychology; Health Care
Research has primarily focused on issues of education and training the next generation of leaders. In particular, I collaborate with faculty at the Child Study Center, as well as directors of residency training nationally, to improve our understanding of complex child and adolescent psychiatric disorders and to train superior physicians. Our work has focused on recruitment of the best and the brightest into the field of child and adolescent psychiatry, optimizing training experiences to ensure superior physician competency, and the initiation of a new Integrated Training pathway which combines pediatrics, general psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, and research to optimally train the next generation of academic child psychiatrists.
Extensive Research DescriptionAs Director of Residency Training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, I direct the educational programs of the child and adolescent psychiatry residency training program and the Albert J. Solnit Integrated psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, and research residency training program. The education and training of the next generation of leaders is a key mission of the Child Study Center, and I collaborate with faculty to provide superior training of talented physicians to care for the many children and their families in need. Additionally, the graduates are well-trained to become academic teachers, researchers, advocates, and leaders to move the field forward in developing and providing the most effective early interventions and treatments for children with serious emotional disorders.
Resident competency in clinical skills;
Practice patterns in child and adolescent psychiatry and effective models of care; Innovative educational methods
- Martin A, Krieg H, Esposito F, Stubbe D, Cardona L (2008). Reduction of restraint and seclusion through collaborative problem solving: a five-year prospective inpatient study. Psychiatric Services, 59(12): 1406-1412.
- Stubbe D, Martin A, Bloch M, Belitsky R, Carter D, Ebert M, Friedman A, Giese A, Kirwin P, Ross RG, Leckman JF (2008). Model curriculum for academic child and adolescent psychiatry training. Academic Psychiatry, 32(5): 366-376.
- Stubbe D.E. (2007). Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: Practical Guides in Psychiatry, Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Stubbe D., Heyneman E., Saunders S. (2007). A Stitch in time saves nine: Intervention strategies for the remediation of competency. In: Varley, C. (Ed.) Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. In press.
- Stubbe, D., Beresin, E. (2007). Education and Training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. In: Martin, A. and Volkmar, F. (Eds.) Lewis Comprehensive Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 4th Edition, Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. In press.
- Stubbe D.E. (2006). Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.. In: Cheng K, Myers D Eds): Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: The Essentials, Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Stubbe D.E. (2005). Child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. In: Jeste DV, Friedman JH (Eds.). Psychiatry for Neurologists, Totowa, NJ, Humana Press.