Denis Sukhodolsky PhD
Assistant Professor in the Child Study Center
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for aggression in children and adolescents (R01 MH101514). Participants complete functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG) before and after treatment with CBT or supportive psychotherapy. This study examines whether reduction of anger outbursts, irritability, and aggression after CBT is paralleled by changes in areas of the brain responsible for emotion regulation and social perception.
Randomized Trial of Parent Training for Young Children with Autism. (R01 MH081148) The goal of this multi-site clinical trial is to evaluate the efficacy of a structured parent training compared to parent education in 3- to 6-year-old children with autism spectrum disorders.
EEG coherence in children with TS: Association with ADHD and tic severity. (R03 MH09458301) This is an investigation of mesial-frontal EEG coherence during performance of a motor inhibition task as a biomarker of tic regulation in children with Tourette Syndrome.
Neural Mechanisms of Behavioral Therapy for Anxiety in Children with Autism. This study evaluates the neural mechanisms of CBT for anxiety by collecting fMRI with tasks of socioemotional functioning before and after treatment in 8 to 14-year-old children with high-functioning autism.
Integrated Brain, Body and Social Intervention (IBBS) for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (R01 HD070821). IBBS is a school-based intervention in which children with ADHD participate in cognitive training and physical exercises aimed at improving attention and executive functioning. The study is directed by Drs. James Leckman and Bruce Wexler at the Yale Child Study Center and Yale Psychiatry Department. The Sukhodolsky lab is involved in clinical assessment of outcomes and the evaluation of electrophysiological correlates of attention and cognitive control.
fMRI biofeedback for Tourette Syndrome (R01MH095789). This study led by Dr. Michelle Hampson at the Yale Department of Diagnostic Radiology investigates the effects of fMRI biofeedback on tics in adolescents and young adults with Tourette Syndrome. The Sukhodolsky lab provides clinical characterization of study participants and blinded assessment of outcomes.
- Sukhodolsky, D.G., Bloch, M.H., Panza, K.E., & Reichow, B. (2013). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxiety in children with high-functioning autism: A meta-analysis. Pediatrics, 132(5), e1341-e1350.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G. & Scahill, L. (2012). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for anger and aggression in children and adolescents. New York: Guilford Press.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., Landeros-Weisenberger, A., Scahill, L., Leckman, J. F., & Schultz, R.T. (2010) Neuropsychological functioning in children with Tourette Syndrome with and without Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 49. (11):1155–1164.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G, Vitulano, L. A., Carroll, D. H., McGuire, J., Leckman, J. F. & Scahill, L. (2009). Randomized Trial of Anger Control Training for Adolescents with Tourette Syndrome and Disruptive Behavior. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry,48, 413-421
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., Scahill, L., Gadow, K. D., Arnold, L. E., Aman, M. G., McDougle, C. J., MacCracken, J. T, Tierney, E., Williams White, S., Lecavalier, L., Vitiello, B. (2008), Parent-Rated Anxiety Symptoms in Children with Pervasive Developmental Disorders: Frequency and Association with Core Autism Symptoms and Cognitive Functioning, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 36, 117-128.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., Leckman, J. F., Rothenberger, A., & Scahill, L. (2007). The role of abnormal neural oscillations in the pathophysiology of co-occurring Tourette Syndrome and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 16 [suppl 1], I/51-I/59.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., & Ruchkin, V. V. (2006). Evidence-based psychosocial treatments in the juvenile justice system. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 15, 501-516.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., Rosario-Campos, M. C., Scahill, L., Katsovich, L., Pauls, D.L., Peterson, B.S., King, R.A., Lombroso, P.J., Findley, D.B, & Leckman, J.F. (2005) Adaptive, Emotional and Family Functioning in Children with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder with and without Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 162, 1125-1132
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., Cardona, L., & Martin, A. (2005). Characterizing aggressive and noncompliant behaviors in a children’s psychiatric inpatient setting. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 36, 177-193.