Dr. Azeem is the Medical Director & Chief of Psychiatry, Albert J. Solnit Children's Center (formerly known as Riverview Hospital for Children and Youth / CCP). Solnit Center South is one of the largest and premium state psychiatry teaching hospital for children and adolescents in the country. Solnit Centerl serves some of the most complex children and youth in the state with various neuropsychiatric disorders, and provides state of the art treatment in the form of comprehensive interdisciplinary diagnostic evaluations, pharmacotherapy, individual and family therapy, group and milieu therapy, innovative school and systems interventions.
As Associate Training Director, Dr. Azeem oversees the training of child and adolescent residents at Solnit Centerand collaborates closely with the faculty at Solnit Center and program training directors in providing outstanding education and training experience to our residents.
Dr. Azeem’s primary clinical and research interests include Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, child and adolescent psychiatry training, global mental health, and looking into innovative ways in reducing seclusions and restraints in inpatient child and adolescent settings.
Dr. Azeem is involved with various medical schools in his native country Pakistan regarding different research projects including examining comorbid disorders in children and adolescents with cognitive limitations and developmental disabilities, assessing the level of distress and risk for psychopathology among parents of children with cognitive limitations and looking at practices of various professionals regarding autism spectrum disorders. In addition, Dr. Azeem collaborates with psychiatry professionals in Pakistan and Middle East in improving child and adolescent mental health services.
- Beth Caldwell , Chantell Albert, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, Sue Beck, David Cocoros, Trish Cocoros, Raquel Montes, Bhagya Reddy (2014); Successful Seclusion and Restraint Prevention Efforts in Child and Adolescent Programs. The Journal of Psychosocial Nursing
- Joseph Gonzalez-Heydrich, MD, Olivia Hsin, PhD, Sarah Gumlak, SB, Kara Kimball, MPH, Ashley Rober, B.S, Muhammad Azeem, MD, Meredith Hickory, Psy.D, Christine Mrakotsky, PhD, Alcy Torres, MD, Enrico Mezzacappa, MD, Blaise Bourgeois, MD, Joseph Biederman,
- Paula Marie Smith, Bhagya Reddy, Muhammad Waqar Azeem (2014); Treating Depression in an adolescent with Intellectual Disability. JPPS; 11 (2): 39-41
- Helena Molero, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, Imran S. Khawja (2014); Overview and Management of Common Sleep Disorders in Children: A Review for Psychiatrists and Primary care Physcians. JPPS. 2014; 11 (2): 8-11
- Salma Malik, Charles Caley, Muhammad Waqar Azeem (2014); Psychopharmacogenomics: A New Tool for the Prescribing Physician. JPPS. 2014; 11 (2): 12-15
- Imran, Nazish, Azeem, Muhammad Waqar (2014). Autism Spectrum Disorder: Perspective from Pakistan. The Comprehensive Guide to Autism, Editors: Patel,VB, Martin, CR, Preedy, V, Springer Press New York, PP 2483-2496
- Imran Khawaja, MD, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, MD, Ayesha Ebrahim, Shehzad Niazi, MD (2014). Non-Pharmacological Management of Chronic Insomnia in Clinical Practice. J. Pak Psy Soc. 11(1): 31-35
- Irum Saddique, MBBS, Imtiaz Ahmad Dogar, MBBS, Salma Malik, MD, MS, Nighat Haider, Mphil, Samreen Afzal, MSc, Mohsin Cheema, MBBS, Muhammad Waqar Azeem, MD (2014). Frequency of Depression in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 in Pakistan. J. Pak Psy S
- Imran, Nazish, Azeem, Muhammad Waqar (2014). Child Psychiatry in Pakistan. AACAP News 45(1): 5-6
- Azeem, Muhammad Waqar, Dogar, Imtiaz A. , Shah, Snehal, Cheema, Mohsin A., Asmat, Alia, Akbar, Madeeha, Kousar, Sumira, Haider, Imran I. (2013). Anxiety and Depression among Parents of Children with Intellectual Disability in Pakistan. Journal of the Cana
- Azeem, Muhammad W, Aujla, A, Ramerth, M, Binsfeld, G, Jones, RB (2011). Effectiveness of Six Core Strategies Based on Trauma Informed Care in Reducing Seclusions and Restraints at a Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Hospital. J Chil & Adols Psych Nurs ; 24
- Imran,N, Chaudry,MR , Azeem, MW, Bhatti,MR , Choudhary,ZI, Cheema, MA (2011). A survey of Autism knowledge and attitudes among the healthcare professionals in Lahore, Pakistan. BMC Pediatrics; 11:107
- Dogar, IA, Haider, N, Irfan, N, Ahmad, M, Azeem, MW (2010). Psychiatric Co-morbidity in Medical Patients. JPPS; 7(2): 91-96
- Dogar, IA, Azeem, Muhammad W, Kiran, M, Hussain, I, Mehmood, K, Hina, I (2009). Depression and Anxiety in Cancer Patients in Outpatient Department of a Tertiary Care Hospital in Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci; 25(5):734-737
- Realmuto, George M, Azeem, Muhammad W (2008). Autistic Disorder. The Medical Basis of Psychiatry (Third Edition), Editors: S.Fatemi, PJ Clayton, Humana Press, NJ, PP 355-373
- Dogar, IA, Khawaja, I, Azeem, Muhammad W Awan, H, Ayub, A, Iqbal, J, Thuras P (2008). Prevalence and Risk Factors for Anxiety and Depression in Hospitalized Cardiac Patients in Pakistan. Psychiatry; 5 (2): 38-41
- Azeem, Muhammad W, Imran, Nazish (2007). Autism: Assessment and Management. P J Med Sci; 23(6): 970-978
- Khawaja, IS., Azeem, Muhammad W, Ebrahim, A (2005). Weight Loss and Anorexia with Quetiapine. Psychiatric Services 2005; 56(4): 490