Xiaomei Ma PhD
Associate Professor of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
Cancer etiology; cancer outcomes research; epidemiological methods
Dr. Ma's primary research interest is in cancer etiology (particularly the etiology of hematological malignancies), cancer outcomes research, and epidemiological methods. Her current research includes (1) selected environmental and genetic factors in the etiology of childhood leukemia; (2) previous exposures, patterns of care, outcomes, and health-related quality of life in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes; and (3) statistical methods to address spatial uncertainty in cancer risk estimation.
- Ma X, Wang R, Long JB, Ross JS, Soulos PR, Yu JB, Makarov DV, Gold HT, Gross CP. The cost implications of prostate cancer screening in the Medicare population. Cancer. 2014; 120:96-102.
- Omer B, Kadan-Lottick NS, Roberts KB, Wang R, Demsky C, Kupfer GM, Cooper D, Seropian S, Ma X. Patterns of subsequent malignancies after Hodgkin lymphoma in children and adults. British Journal of Hematology. 2012; 158: 615-25.
- Ma, X., Lim, U., Park, Y., Mayne, S.T., Wang, R., Hartge, P., Hollenbeck, A.R., Schatzkin, A. Obesity, lifestyle factors, and risk of myelodysplastic syndromes in a large U.S. cohort. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2009; 169:1492-9.
- Ma, X., Vanasse, G., Cartmel, B., Wang, Y., Selinger, H.A. Prevalence of polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. American Journal of Hematology. 2008; 83:359-62.
- Ma, X., Buffler, P.A., Wiemels, J.L., Selvin, S., Metayer, C., Loh, M., Does, M.B., and Wiencke, J.K. Ethnic difference in daycare attendance, early infections, and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention. 2005; 14: 1928-1934.
- Ma, X., Buffler, P.A., Layefsky, M., Does, M.B., and Reynolds, P. Control selection strategies in case-control studies of childhood diseases. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2004; 159: 915-921.