Marcella Nunez-Smith MD, MHS
Assistant Professor of Medicine (General Medicine); Core Faculty, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program; Faculty, Global Health Leadership Institute
Healthcare workforce diversity; cancer disparities; role of media on health; discrimination in health care systems; role of race in professional experience
- National Institutes of Health: Eastern Caribbean Health Outcomes Research Network (ECHORN); Formation of a research collaborative across the Eastern Caribbean islands thatwill recruit and follow a community-dwelling adult cohort to examine chronic disease burden and to enhance health outcomes research and leadership capacity in the region. Role: PI.
- National Institutes of Health: Development of an instrument to measure self-reported experiences of healthcare discrimination. This study advances preliminary work supported by YCCI in the development of a novel instrument to measure patient-reported outcomes. Role: PI.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: This study uses integrated methods to identify the experiences and structures that have hindered or promoted success among current and former minority faculty members across the country and to characterize the role of race in their professional experiences. Role: PI.
- Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation: Promotion and retention of diversity in medical education. This study examines historic and current trends in academic medical centerretention and promotion rates and seeks to develop and test new benchmarks. Role: PI.
- Connecticut Health Foundation: Development of a healthcare equity website. This grant will support the creating, development, and maintenance of a labwebsite. Role: PI.