Carcinoma; Tanning; Nutritional Sciences
Public Health Interests
Breast cancer; Cancer Epidemiology; Cancer Survival; Nutrition; Ovarian Cancer; Stress; Sun Exposure
Dr. Cartmel's primary research interests are in the area of cancer prevention and cancer survivorship. Dr. Cartmel is collaborating on a large case control study of basal cell carcinoma in young people. The goal of this study is to explore the etiology and genetics of basal cell carcinoma, the most common type of nonmelanoma skin cancer, with a particular focus on UV exposure from tanning beds. Her recently funded grant will investigate the genetics of tanning addiction. In addition to this study, Dr. Cartmel is involved in two exercise intervention studies in cancer survivor (Melinda Irwin Ph.D., PI). She is also participating in a nationwide longitudinal quality of life study in cancer survivors in which she is studying communication of health information to long-term cancer survivors. Other interests include the use of a novel noninvasive assessment method of skin carotenoids.
Extensive Research Description
Understanding indoor and outdoor ultraviolet radiation exposure in skin cancer survivors
Epidemiology and Genetics of Tanning Addiction
- Gonsalves L, Cartmel B, Mueller L. The burden of cancer in Connecticut. Conn Med. 2012;76(6):335-51
- Cartmel B, Ferrucci LM, Spain P, Bale AE, Pagoto SL, Leffell DL, Gelernter J, Mayne, ST. Indoor tanning and tanning dependence in young people after a diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma. JAMA Dermatology (in press)
- Scarmo S, Cartmel B, Lin H, Leffell DJ, Ermakov IV, Gellermann W, Bernstein PS, Mayne ST. Single vs. multiple measures of skin carotenoids by resonance Raman spectroscopy as a biomarker of usual carotenoid status. B J Nutr 2013 Jan 28:1-7.
- Yu M, Ferrucci LM, McCorkle R, Ercolano E, Smith T, Stein KD, Cartmel B. Employment experience of cancer survivors 2 years post-diagnosis in the Study of Cancer Survivors-I. J Cancer Surviv. 2012 Jan 5. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 22215311.
- Ferrucci, L. M., Cartmel, B., Molinaro, A. M., Leffell, D. J., Bale, A. E., and Mayne, S. T. Indoor tanning and risk of early-onset basal cell carcinoma. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 8 December 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2011.11.940. NIHMS339428
- Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Turkman YE, Murphy ME, Smith T, Stein KD, McCorkle R. Causal attribution among cancer survivors of the 10 most common cancers. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2011 Mar;29(2):121-40.
- Mayne ST, Cartmel B, Scarmo S, Lin H, Leffell DJ, Welch E, Ermakov I, Bhosale P, Bernstein PS, Gellermann W. Noninvasive assessment of dermal carotenoids as a biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92(4):794-800. PMCID: PMC Journa