Madhav V. Dhodapkar MBBS
Arthur H. and Isabel Bunker Professor of Medicine (Hematology) and Professor of Immunobiology; Chief, Section of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine; Clinical Research Program Leader, Hematology Program, Yale Cancer Center
Myeloma and related plasma cell disorders; human immune system's interaction with growing tumors in patients; preneoplastic monoclonal gammopathy and multiple myeloma, tumor and host related factors
We are interested in studying the biology of the human immune system and how it interacts with growing tumors in patients. We are particularly interested in understanding the tumor and host related factors underlying the transformation of preneoplastic monoclonal gammopathy to its malignant counterpart, multiple myeloma (MM). We are also studying the biology of how human dendritic cells regulate immune responses to different types of antigens. Our goal is to learn to harness the properties of the immune system to detect, prevent and treat cancer, with a particular focus on multiple myeloma.
- Dhodapkar K, Banerjee D, Connolly J, Kukreja A, Matayeva E, Veri MC, Ravetch JV, Steinman RM, Dhodapkar MV. Selective blockade of the inhibitory FC-receptor (Fc-RIIB) in human dendritic cells and monocytes induces a type I interferon response program. J Exp Med. 2007, 204: 1359-1369.
- Spisek R, Kukreja A, Chen L, Matthews P, Mazumder A, Vesole D, Jagannath S, Zebroski HA, Simpson AJG, Ritter G, Durie B, Crowley J, Shaughnessy Jr. JD, Scanlan M, Gure AO, Barlogie B, Dhodapkar MV. Frequent and specific immunity to the embryonal stem cell-associated antigen SOX2 in patients with monoclonal gammopathy. J Exp Med. 2007, 204: 831-840.
- Spisek R, Charalambous A, Mazumder A, Vesole DH, Jagannath, Dhodapkar MV. Bortezomib enhances dendritic cell mediated induction of immunity to human myeloma via exposure of cell surface heat shock protein 90 on dying tumor cells: Therapeutic implications. Blood. 2007, 109: 4839-4845.
- Chang D, Liu N, Klimek V, Hassoun H, Mazumder A, Nimer SD, Jagannath S, Dhodapkar MV. Enhancement of ligand dependent activation of human NKT cells by lenalinomide: Therapeutic implications. Blood. 2006, 108:618-621.
- Kukreja A, Hutchinson A, Dhodapkar KM, Mazumder A, Vesole D, Angitapalli R, Jagannath S, Dhodapkar MV. Enhancement of clonogenicity of human multiple myeloma by dendritic cells. J Exp Med. 2006, 203:1859-1865.