Richard Alexander Matthay MD
Professor Emeritus of and Senior Research Scientist in Medicine (Pulmonary)
Lung cancer; Pulmonary manifestations of the connective tissue diseases; Heart lung interactions; Asthma and COPD
Dr. Matthay has continuing interest in the epidemiology and etiology of lung cancer. He and two colleagues (Drs. Lynn Tanoue and Charles Dela Cruz) are currently preparing a chapter on the epidemiology and etiology of lung cancer for the upcoming new edition of the Fishman Textbook of Pulmonary Disease.
Dr Matthay serves on the editorial board of several medical journals, including Journal of Intensive Care Medicine, Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine and Clinical Pulmonary Medicine.
Lung cancer -- epidemiology, etiology, imaging techniques for diagnosis and staging, and therapy; Heart lung interaction -- cor pulmonale and pulmonary thromboembolism; Therapy for asthma and COPD
- Trow T, Matthay RA: Management of venous thromboembolism in the critically ill obese patient [in] Critical Care Management of the Obese Patient. Solh AE (ed), New York: Wiley-Blackwell, Chapter 13, pp 108-115, 2012.
- Tanoue LT, Matthay RA (Editors): Lung Cancer. Clinics in Chest Medicine, Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2011.
- Dela Cruz, CS, Tanoue, LT, Matthay RA: Lung cancer: epidemiology, etiology and prevention. Clinics in Chest Medicine, 32:605-644, (December) 2011.
- Dela Cruz CS, Matthay RA: Lung Cancer (Chapter 17) [in] Oxford Handbook of Pulmonary Medicine, Brown KK, Lee-Chiong T, Chapman S., Robinson G, Stradling J and West S, (eds.) New York, New York: Oxford University Press, 2009, pp 161-198.
- Dela Cruz CS, Beuther DA, Matthay RA (Editors): Obesity and Respiratory Disease. A Clinics in Chest Medicine Monograph. 30:415-614, (September) 2009.
- Dela Cruz, CS, Matthay RA: Role of obesity in cardiomyopathy and pulmonary hypertension. Clin Chest Medicine 30:509-523, (September) 2009.
- George RB, Light RW, Matthay MA, Matthay RA (Eds): Chest Medicine: Essentials of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. 5th Edition, Philadelphia: Lippincott-Williams and Wilkins, 2005.
- Arroliga AC, Matthay MA, Matthay RA: Pulmonary thromboembolism and other pulmonary vascular diseases in Chest Medicine: Essentials of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. George RB, Light RW, Matthay MA, Matthay RA (eds), 5th Edition, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005, pp 207-233.