Biopsy, Needle; Brain Neoplasms; Neoplasms; Nervous System Diseases; Neuroma, Acoustic; Neurosurgery; Diseases
Yale's neuro-oncology program puts together all of the components
critical to managing patients with brain tumors: comprehensive evaluation
and diagnosis, leading edge treatment options, thorough follow-up and
psychosocial support. Patients are welcome whether they are newly diagnosed
or have already received extensive treatment.
Calls from referring physicians, patients or their families are handled by an experienced clinical care coordinator. The coordinator ensures that appropriate appointments are made quickly. New patients with brain tumors are usually seen in the oncology clinic of the Yale Cancer Center within a couple of days. The care coordinator also acts as the patient's interface with the various medical specialists who are called into play in each treatment plan.
The patient is the focus of all of the diagnosis and treatment skills Yale's interdisciplinary team of specialists brings to the service. Neuro-oncology surgeons, radiation oncologists, neuroradiologists, medical oncologists, neurologists, neuropathologists and others meet weekly at a Tumor Board Conference to arrive at the most appropriate treatment plan for each individual. Because the Yale Cancer Center is an academic referral center, the teams of specialists have an opportunity to treat the rarest as well as the most common cancers. Because of the center's research and teaching mission, its practitioners are well acquainted with the most advanced treatment methods. Patients benefit from that knowledge and from specialized resources such as a dedicated neurological intensive care unit and the latest imaging technologies.
Specialized Terms: Neuro-oncology; Acoustic neuroma; Brain tumor; Stereotactic needle biopsy
- Sawyer A, Piepmeier J, Saltzman M: New Methods for Direct Delivery of Chemotherapy for Treating Brain Tumors. Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine,
- Kunwar S, Prados M, Chang S, Berger M, Lang F, Piepmeier J, Sampson J, Ram Z, Gutin P, Gibbons R, Aldape K, Croteau D, Sherman J, Puri R: Direct Intracerebral Delivery of Cintredekin Besudotox (IL13-PE38QQR) in Patients with Recurrent Malignant Glioma. J
- Baehring J, Bi L, Bannyhk S, Piepmeier J, Fulbright R: Diffusion MRI in the early diagnosis of malignant glioma. J. Neuro-oncology,
- Piepmeier J, Thaiyananthan, T, Ocal, E: Principles of Neurosurgical Therapy. Practice and Principles of Neuro-oncology, Baehring J Piepmeier J (eds), 2006
- Lally B, Knisely J, Piepmeier J: The interactions of polarographic measurements of oxygen tension and histological grade in human glioma. in press The Cancer Journal.