Biochemistry; Crystallography; Molecular Biology; Protein Kinases; Substrate Specificity; Signal Transduction; Hemangioma, Cavernous, Central Nervous System
Cellular signaling cascades that control cytoskeletal remodeling, adhesion, and migration, are critical to life. The Boggon lab uses structural biology and associated techniques to define the molecular level details that control these pathways. Our primary areas of interest are Rho GTPase and integrin signaling pathways, and the molecular basis for acquisition of a devastating disease, cerebral cavernous malformations (CCM). We maintain a focus on the protein kinases involved in these areas.
- Structural basis for non-canonical substrate recognition of cofilin/ADF proteins by LIM kinases. Hamill S, Lou HJ, Turk BE, Boggon TJ. Molecular Cell. 2016; 62(3):397-408.
- Structure and vascular function of MEKK3-cerebral cavernous malformations 2 complex. Fisher OS, Deng H, Liu D, Zhang Y, Wei R, Deng Y, Zhang F, Louvi A, Turk BE, Boggon TJ, Su B. Nature Communications. 2015; 6:7937. doi:10.1038/ncomms8937
- CCM2-CCM3 interaction stabilizes their protein expression and permits endothelial network formation. Draheim KM, Li X, Zhang R, Fisher OS, Villari G, Boggon TJ, Calderwood DA. Journal of Cell Biology. 2015; 208 (7):987-1001.
- Identification of a major determinant for serine-threonine kinase phosphoacceptor specificity. Chen C, Ha BH, Thevenin AF, Lou HJ, Zhang R, Yip KY, Peterson JR, Gerstein M, Kim PM, Filippakopoulos P, Knapp S, Boggon TJ, Turk BE. Molecular Cell. 2014; 53(1):140-147.
- Mechanism for KRIT1 release of ICAP1-mediated suppression of integrin activation. Liu W, Draheim, Zhang R, Calderwood DA, Boggon TJ. Molecular Cell 2013; 49(4):719-29.
- Type II p21-activated kinases (PAKs) are regulated by an autoinhibitory pseudosubstrate Ha BH, Davis MJ, Chen C, Lou HJ, Gao J, Zhang R, Krauthammer M, Halaban R, Schlessinger J, Turk BE, Boggon TJ. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, U.S.A. 2012; 109(40):16107-16112
- Structural basis for the small G-protein-effector interaction of Ras-related protein 1 (Rap1) and the adaptor protein Krev interaction trapped 1 (KRIT1). Li X, Zhang R, Draheim KM, Liu W, Calderwood DA, Boggon TJ Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2012; 287(26):22317-22327
- Li X, Zhang R, Zhang H, He Y, Ji W, Min W, Boggon TJ. Crystal structure of CCM3, a cerebral cavernous malformation protein critical for vascular integrity. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2010; 285(31):24099-24107.