Shangqin Guo PhD
Assistant Professor of Cell Biology
Cell fate control, reprogramming, hematopoietic stem and progenitors, leukemogenesis, cell cycle, live-cell imaging
We are interested in learning the cell fate decision processes: how does a cell know what to be and what not to be? We use three biological model systems to investigate this question. 1) Induced pluripotency (Yamanaka reprogramming). 2) Malignant transformation. 3) Hematopoietic stem cell emergence and maintenance. The long term goal of understanding the rules of cell fate decision making is to create desired cell types for cell replacement therapies and to eliminate the emergence of harmful cell types such as cancer.
- Non-stochastic reprogramming from a privileged somatic cell state. Shangqin Guo (corresponding author), Xiaoyuan Zi, Vincent P. Schulz, Jijun Cheng, Mei Zhong, Sebastian H.J. Koochaki, Cynthia M. Megyola, Xinghua Pan, Kartoosh Heydari, Sherman M. Weissman, Patrick G. Gallagher, Diane S. Krause, Rong Fan and Jun Lu. Cell, online Jan 30th, 2014
- An Extensive Network of TET2-Targeting MicroRNAs Regulates Malignant Hematopoiesis. Cheng J, Guo S (co-first and co-corresponding author), Chen S, Mastriano SJ, Liu C, D'Alessio AC, Hysolli E, Guo Y, Yao H, Megyola CM, Li D, Liu J, Pan W, Roden CA, Zhou XL, Heydari K, Chen J, Park IH, Ding Y, Zhang Y, Lu J. Cell Rep. 2013 Oct 31;5(2):471-81.
- Dynamic migration and cell-cell interactions of early reprogramming revealed by high-resolution time-lapse imaging. Megyola CM, Gao Y, Teixeira AM, Cheng J, Heydari K, Cheng EC, Nottoli T, Krause DS, Lu J, Guo S. Stem Cells. 2013 May;31(5):895-905.
- Complex oncogene dependence in microRNA-125a-induced myeloproliferative neoplasms. Guo S, Bai H, Megyola CM, Halene S, Krause DS, Scadden DT, Lu J.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Oct 9;109(41):16636-41.
- A microRNA regulating adult hematopoietic stem cells.
Guo S, Scadden DT. Cell Cycle. 2010 Sep 15;9(18):3637-8.
MicroRNA miR-125a controls hematopoietic stem cell number.
Guo S, Lu J, Schlanger R, Zhang H, Wang JY, Fox MC, Purton LE, Fleming HH, Cobb B, Merkenschlager M, Golub TR, Scadden DT. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug 10;107(32):14229-34.
- Compartmentalized organization: a common and required feature of stem cell niches? Greco V, Guo S. Development. 2010 May;137(10):1586-94.