Craig Russell Roy PhD
Professor of Microbial Pathogenesis; Vice-Chair, Department of Microbial Pathogenesis
Molecular; Cellular; Microbial pathogens; Bacteria; Vesicular transport; Legionella pneumophila; Coxiella burnetii; Macrophages; Protozoan; Proteins
The focus of our research is to understand the molecular and cellular events that enable microbial pathogens to evade host defense mechanisms. In particular, we are interested in how bacteria that replicate inside mammalian cells create specialized vacuoles that support pathogen replication. We have been using Legionella pneumophila and Coxiella burnetii as model pathogens to study this process. We have been characterizing a type IV secretion system called Dot/Icm that delivers bacterial effector proteins into the eukaryotic host cell cytosol. The goals of this research are to determine the mechanism by which these bacterial effector proteins regulate phagosome maturation, modulate host immunity, and subvert eukaryotic cell functions.
- Choy A, Dancourt J, Mugo B, O'Connor TJ, Isberg RR, Melia TJ, Roy CR. (2012) The Legionella Effector RavZ Inhibits Host Autophagy Through Irreversible Atg8 Deconjugation. Science. 2012 Oct 25.
- Arasaki K, Toomre DK, Roy CR. (2012) The Legionella pneumophila effector DrrA is sufficient to stimulate SNARE-dependent membrane fusion. Cell Host Microbe.
- Mukherjee S, Liu X, Arasaki K, McDonough J, Galán JE, Roy CR. (2011) Modulation of Rab GTPase function by a protein phosphocholine transferase. Nature. Aug 7.
- Lührmann A, Nogueira CV, Carey KL, Roy CR. (2010) Inhibition of pathogen-induced apoptosis by a Coxiella burnetii type IV effector protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107(44):18997-9001.
- Nogueira CV, Lindsten T, Jamieson AM, Case CL, Shin S, Thompson CB, Roy CR. (2009) Rapid pathogen-induced apoptosis: a mechanism used by dendritic cells to limit intracellular replication of Legionella pneumophila. PLoS Pathog. 5(6):e1000478.
- Pan X, Lührmann A, Satoh A, Laskowski-Arce MA, Roy CR. (2008). Ankyrin repeat proteins comprise a diverse family of bacterial type IV effectors. Science. 320:1651-1654.
- Ingmundson A, Delprato A, Lambright DG, Roy CR. (2007). Legionella pneumophila proteins that regulate Rab1 membrane cycling. Nature 450:365-9.