Pain is your body's way of calling attention to something that is not right. Pain can be an obstacle to recovery because it interferes with treatment and impedes the return to a full and active life. Pain is completely subjective. The gold standard is the patient's self-report. The Department offers pain management services to postoperative patients while hospitalized following surgery.
As a patient at Yale-New Haven Hospital you can expect:
- Information about pain and pain relief measures
- A concerned staff committed to pain prevention and management
- Health care professionals who respond quickly to reports of pain
- Your report of pain will be believed
- State-of-the-art pain management
- Dedicated pain-relief specialists
Why is Pain Management so important to your health?
- Unrelieved pain may cause negative physiological, psychological or social effects on the patient
- Research shows unrelieved pain can slow recovery and increase anxiety